Monday, August 16, 2010

Konzelmann Winery - Approachable Affordable and Accessible


Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I visited some wineries in Niagara that I hadn't been to in many, many years and Konzelmann winery was one of them. The reason Konzelmann was on my radar was because in June the annual Sip & Savour Event was held at the Pantages Hotel in downtown Toronto.

Sip & Savour is one of Toronto's premier events to experience the wines of Ontario. Awards are given to the best in each category. While I am always interested to see who won what, this does not dictate whose table I visit. I go to the tables that are the least crowded or the ones with the "funky" looking labels that people are avoiding. It is sad to say but whether or not you are attracted to the label usually determines whether or not you will venture to try a wine. I always find a few gems this way.

At this year's show I tasted Konzelmann's sparkling wine made from the riesling grape. It was refreshingly crisp and bright with soft citrus fruit on the palate. The bubbles were gentle. A great summer sipper.

I also tasted their sauvignon blanc. It was slightly herbaceous with soft grassy notes. Again it too was refreshing with crisp acidity. A great starter on its own or with appetizers. Both were lovely little wines. It was because of these two samples that I decided to pay a visit to the winery.

What I remember about Konzelmann from years ago when I worked at the LCBO attending tastings, when we got to the Konzelmann table it was a bit difficult to get beyond the rigid body language and the rigid prose. They seemed distant and at the time for me a wee bit intimidating.

What I also remember is that their labels, being in the germanic font again, was one of those things that was hard to appreciate. It was different and difficult to read (or so I thought back then). It too seemed rigid in its style to my canadian eye. As years have passed and my life experience has been greatly increased I now see how little I knew back then. The saying "if I knew then what I know now" comes to mind.

The night before heading to Niagara I was surfing and scrolling the internet. Click, click. I happened upon the Wall Street Journal wine columnists Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brechner (who are married....to each other). Low and behold it seems they too discovered a Konzelmann wine in a New York restaurant. I could not believe what I was reading. Oddly enough they were saying the same things I had said all those years ago about the label.

They ordered the bottle on the recommendation of the sommelier and they were pleasantly suprised. It was the pinot blanc 2006. I found their story at http://www.online.wsj.com/. I love it when things like this happen.

While at the winery I tasted a number of their wines from the vidal, riesling and pinot blanc for the whites to pinot noir and baco noir for the reds.

What I like about Konzelmann is that they don't try to mislead you to believe anything other than their wines are what they are, approachable, affordable and accessible. They deliver.

My favourite on this day..............the pinot blanc! I love that they use the german name for the grape on the label "weissburgunder". And the germanic font.....what can I say but I love it. Isn't it ironic. Oh wow, I'm feeling a little Alanis Morrisetteish at the moment. There sure is something to be said for age and experience.

You can purchase this wine and others from Konzelmann at the LCBO. The pinot blanc is number 219279 and is $11.60. Can't beat that!

Thank you to the staff at Konzelmann and in particular Jeremy Miron. They were informative, educational, energetic and most of all they were FUN!!

Cheers

p.s. apologies, I am having a problem posting more photos. I'll keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment