Monday, May 4, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner!

I started this blog because I am crazy about wines and spirits and I want to share my love of it with you all. Hopefully you too will "Catch the Fever" as I like to call it!

Over the years I have met many of the world's producers of wines and spirits and have encountered some of the most passionate as well as the most interesting of characters along the way.

What started out simply as just a job at the local shop has turned into my life's passion. I am the epitome of irony. I simply at that time did not like wines and spirits. In fact I hated them. That is how strongly I felt. Yes I could sell them but I most definitely did not like them.

My journey into drinking wine happened quite by accident. I had run into a very old friend that I hadn't seen in many many years. He had recently married and wanted to introduce me to his new wife. I was invited over for dinner. I asked "Can I bring anything?" "Just bring yourself" my friend instructed. And so I did just that.

When last I saw my friend we were imbibers of the hops beverage as they say. Yes we were beer drinkers! And proud of it! No, no we would never drink anything else! Beer was where it was at!

Upon arrival at his home I was introduced to his new wife. Lovely girl. Of course then the question "What can I get you to drink"? I said "I'll have a beer thank you". I noticed a slight twitch in my friend's face which I took to mean oh oh, he forgot to go to the beer store. He then said " I'm afraid I don't have any beer, can I offer you a glass of wine"? Being a polite guest I responded " Oh yes absolutely". Beneath my cool exterior I was all in a dither. Trying not to show my dismay that my friend had now betrayed what was our ritual drink and had gone over to the other side, I was also deeply worried that I would not be able to pull this one off. As I mentioned I truly despised wine. Now was going to be my finest hour.

As I was handed this glass of white wine many thoughts were going through my head. Can I do this? My friend has changed. Who is this woman who has now converted my friend from beer to wine? As I put the wine to my lips and introduced this spirit to my palate I was treated to a very pleasant surprise. Could this truly be wine? Could I possibly like it? Was my friend tricking me?

He was not. My introduction into the world of wine was none other than.....Blue Nun! Yes Blue Nun the German wine which if we are all honest with ourselves is where we all began. I could not believe that I,me, who did not like wine was now a convert too! My friend had converted me!

We did manage to polish off a few bottles and I was somewhat tipsy as you can imagine. I was not used to higher alcohol contents. Not that Blue Nun is high but it is higher than a typical bottle of hops!

We had a wonderful evening and my world had changed. Who knew! The very next day when I went to my "just a job" job, I headed straight for the German section! On my road to becoming a certified sommelier! Who knew!

So you see, I am the epitome of irony. My friends and family laugh at what has become of me!

With this blog I hope to inspire you and invite you to journey with me into the world of wines and spirits. As my tag line says "The Spirit of Adventure". It is so much fun!

Cheers
Jacqueline

p.s. Thanks Al for inviting me to dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Nice start to your blog. Best wishes. I look forward to reading about all those beautiful vineyards and wines !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering as I sit here. You have an incredible knack for describing the wines in such a vivid, appealing way. I love your writing and am going to continue to check your blog frequently.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete