Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Where would we be if........

If it weren't for the innovators of Niagara where would we be? If it weren't for those brave enough to stick it out when all around them were saying they were foolish to even consider seriously the notion of Niagara being a legitimate wine region, where would we be?

I'll tell you where. We'd still be producing wines from Concord grapes. Not that there's anything wrong with concord grapes. I too love Welch's grape juice. (I suddenly feel like I'm in a Seinfeld episode.) We'd still be producing foxy wines and not in the sexy kind of way. I mean foxy, a term used in the wine world, as in off taste, funky smell.

If not for the innovators the possibility of our Niagara region being like Newfoundland where the kids leave home for employment elsewhere would be a reality. Yes we'd still have our fruit farmers but to what degree. It certainly wouldn't be as it is today.

Yes, those innovators have created a dynamic and thriving industry in our Niagara region. Those innovators with their strength of character and beliefs that would not be broken have made it possible for the "Judgement in Montreal" to happen.

If you are not familiar, this was most recently a re-enactment of sorts of the "Judgement in Paris" when the wine world was shaken at its core.

In a blind tasting of wines (meaning the only thing you know about the wine(s) is what you see in the glass) a number of judges took to assessing white and red wines in France to decide a winner. The wine world was shocked to discover that not only was the chosen winner not French, it was of all things "American". C'est terrible!. Not only American but from fantasy actor land "California". (You need to rent the movie "Bottle Shock" which tells the story.)

The "Judgement in Montreal", Canada was similar. The only difference was that unbeknownst to the judges a canadian wine had been "pirated" in, meaning, it was snuck into the competition and no one knew about the canadian entry.

Guess what, Canada won!! Yes, Le Clos Jordanne 2005 Chardonnay is now the new "Queen of the Castle" (being a girl I prefer the title of Queen). I have to tell you that I have tasted this wine and I distinctly remember saying to myself, " Now this is a nice wine! It has character, nuance, old world styling". It is finesse, intrigue, elegance and subtlety in a bottle. I think of it as an introvert. Once you get to know it you have discovered the best kept secret.

Well a secret no longer!
So were it not for those innovators we wouldn't have Le Clos Jordanne, Tawse, Southbrook, to name a few.

Now you say, Jacqueline, who are those innovators that you speak off?

That's my next BLOG!! So read on my friends!!
Cheers
Jacqueline

p.s. grab a glass of something special--say perhaps something Niagaraish as you read on!! Le Clos Jordanne if you can get your hands on any......do let me know if you do!!!!

p.p.s. Do you know who these Canadian Innovators are on this page? Write me!!
(in the first picture only one of the men is the innovator (in my opinion.....mmmm which one??)

1 comment: