Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Bonnie Scotland - Whisky country and then some!



Bonnie Scotland! Where the air is fresh and the whisky is bountiful!

The photos you are about to look at are from a holiday I took many moons ago. I was on a driving trip throughout Scotland. I went up one side, down the other and directly through the middle.


From the lowlands of Dundee, Robbie Burns country, where I lay in his bed to the Highlands of Fort Williams and Ben Nevis the highest mountain in all of Britain, which I climbed to the top, Scotland is a stunningly beautiful country. It is often said that Scotland is a miniature version of Canada.

Imagine if you will not only was I manoeuvring along twisting and winding roads that you cannot avert your gaze for one second, I was also navigating on the left hand side of the motorway and seated on the right side of the car. Oh and did I mention it was a stick shift I was driving. Are you impressed with me!!!

What made me look for these photos was because I was in the LCBO the other day having a wee look 'round when I saw a whisky that I hadn't seen on their shelves before. It was the single malt whisky Royal Lochnagar.

I was instantly transported back to my trip. I remembered that I had been to this distillery long before Jacqueline had any vision or inclination towards being a sommelier. Yes, this was back in the day when (as you read in my very first blog entry Guess who's coming to dinner) I only partook in the hops beverages. Well, beverage, singular. I wasn't adventuresome back then. You know, stick to your brand and all! I was loyal!
Upon arrival home I kicked off my boots, whipped off my coat and left it where I stood as I rushed to my book case shelves in search of my trip down memory lane. I could hear the bagpipes playing, roaring in my head, beckoning me to the book case. Okay, so I've embellished a little but what the hey. I was really excited to search out the photos.

Now when I say photos I do mean as in get the film developed, pick them up in a week's time photographs. I took them all myself with my Canon Sure Shot camera that my mum had bought for me. As I look back at them they are pretty good if I do say so myself!

The reason I was at this distillery was because it is approximately one mile away from Balmoral Castle, the Scottish Highland home of the Royal Family, which is where I was heading. The first picture is of the countryside en route to Balmoral. These trees suddenly came upon me as I turned a corner. They were as far as the eye could see and as tall as you can imagine. They almost seemed like cyprus trees that are planted down the Rhone Valley to slow down the mistral winds.

The second photo is of the Royal Lochnagar Visitor Centre. The third photo is of whisky moonshine caves that were abound in the 19th century. The fourth photo is of the actual distillery.

Royal Lochnagar dates back to 1826 and was awarded its Royal Warrant in 1848 after a visit from her Royal Highness Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
"The event came about after the distillery manager John Begg (somewhat cheekily) dropped a note to their Royal Highnesses directly inviting them to pay a visit and sample the delights of the distillery (and rather impudently, he mentioned that if they didn’t arrive by 6pm they would miss the distillery in operation. To him, there was no question that he would extend the routine to accommodate his royal guests). What happened next was quite extraordinary – without fanfare, Victoria and Albert paid an impromptu call and were suitably impressed. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. The Royal connection has meant that the distillery has played host to a string of famous visitors, many of them British prime ministers taking an hour or so off between meetings with the monarch of the day at Balmoral."






This is thee Royal Mail Box at the entrance to Balmoral Castle. Of course it's on the side of the grounds which we the commoners are allowed.









If you look at the sign to the right hand side it says Balmoral Private Estates No Admittance. It's a good thing I didn't see it before I entered on the other side. LOL!


Oh look there's that sign again!






This is a part of the Dee River. Remember the photo of Prince Charles with wellies on up to his thighs, fishing. This is a part of that river.






As we know it's all about the water in whisky. What topography it flows threw and around, imparts the many different characteristics we've come to know when describing a whisky. For instance minerally, peaty, mossy, fern like, heathery, medicinal, iodine, are just a few of the desciptors.

From the gentler style of the Lowlands to the bold and beautiful of the Highlands there is most definitely a whisky to suit every palate. The choices are vast and varied.

It truly is funny how you just never know where your life may lead you!! Who knew that I would one day recall these photographs and look at them from a totally different set of eyes....and palate!

Look for the signs (and the posted ones.......OPTIONAL). You just never know where they may lead you!

As the scottish say "What's for you won't go past you"!

Cheers
Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment